Friday, August 07, 2009

[vadisworld - my way, my world] The Passion of Mbah Surip







I bet not too many foreigners know this man, Mbah Surip (Real Name: Surip Arianto) He was a street artist, later a full-fledged musician. With a simple song (perhaps too simple) that turned out to be a one-hit-wonder.

For some people, the song "Tak Gendong (Carry You Around)" is no more than a joke. But for so many others, it is a relief, a simplicity to all the complications, the distressful crisis and the culture shift that deprives our nation, Indonesia from the passion to realize our dreams and reach for the stars.

Most people nowadays are too busy with their jobs, which is - in one way - the best source of income, throwing away the need for "crazy" passion and dream, and many more are so indulged with shebangs of audio-visual entertainment that made them too lazy to create motion pictures in their minds, that is, to imagine.

And then, Mbah Surip came in the right momentum with the right hit, in the right time, the right place, BAMM! And he scored!

As he has mentioned, Mbah Surip was also a regular "working machine" in his youth and decided to follow the Rastavarian dreams later in life. His star shone quite late, in his age of 60, but alas! He left us so suddenly, succumbed to heart attack. He was gone too soon, died the similar way to Michael Jackson and his good friend the poet WS Rendra followed him to the afterlife soon after. He left us all before I have a chance to meet the man who realized his dreams.

Well, I wonder how much longer people will remember this flash of wonder. Nonetheless, what I can Identify with Mbah Surip is that I shared his passion - in my own way, in the project I summarized in www.fireheart.tk. That's why I need to write this down, to record this in my blogs to remind myself (and hopefully many others) to reach for the stars and not leaving our daily job (or vice versa: doing our daily job and spare some time to follow our dreams).

As for myself, yes, I'm a dreamer. I started out just in time of need of a family of my own and neglected that need just for that very passion. Unlike Mbah Surip, my momentum hasn't come yet, due to the circumstances I've mentioned earlier. Maybe that momentum will come when I'm old or long after I die, but I must go on. I can't stop dreaming. I can't stop improving my skills, breaking my boundaries and Mbah Surip's passion inspirited, inspired me even further.

That's why so many Indonesian artists looked up to him. that's why for many dreamers and regulars alike, Mbah Surip was not a joker, but a red-yellow-green knight, a true hero. That's why we Indonesians, including our president lamented the loss of a national treasure and asset. Mbah Surip is out of this world, but his passion lingers on in so many Indonesian hearts, especially mine.

So long, Mbah Surip, I'll carry "you" on as long as my dreams go. Wherever are you going, your passion I'm always booking. Say it loud: Mbah Surip, RASTA MASTA!!

Mbah Surip, I LOVE YOU FULL. - Andry Chang



--

Posted By vadis to vadisworld - my way, my world at 8/07/2009 05:30:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts