Friday, September 08, 2006

Starbucks and Me

When somebody asks me to write something about the coffee in Starbucks, I’d write that the coffee is better than average, and actually it’s one of the best coffee I’ve tasted since I can say “I like coffee”. If it’s a matter of drinks, you can try out varieties of coffees and beverages and enjoy the ambience either alone or with friends in Starbucks or any other café and I will add that Starbucks also made variants of drinks we can hardly find in other cafés. However, if anyone asks me to write about what Starbucks means to me, I’d write that Starbucks gives me more than just coffee, drinks and cozy ambience. What are those? Let me explain a few things to you.

As a self-employed entrepreneur, a freelance translator and a wannabe writer, I often use my spare time to write about something or draw cartoons just for fun. To do that, I must find a perfect, cozy place to make myself relaxed and comfortable; and nice drinks to boost my creative, artistic adrenaline and keep me focused to my work. And so, I found and tried Starbucks Coffee, and it’s just exactly the combination of place, coffee and drinks I need. So one of the plus things Starbucks gives me is inspiration to my works.

Time flies by since then, and the more frequent I hang out in Starbucks, the more I feel that to me, Starbucks is like my second home. I’ve had some nice experiences in Starbucks, and some of them are such memorable moments even one is the moment I’ll cherish during my lifetime. And this is one other thing that Starbucks gives me, and this is what I’m sharing with you now.

I met this girl at the gym, and found that I know her since we went in the same university together. She’s beautiful, smart and kind, but I thought I’m just not her type. Several cases of heartbreaks made me thought that all beautiful girls are materialistic and they expect perfect or financially steady boyfriends, which I’m not both. So, I had neither guts nor confidence to win her heart, and we were just saying hellos, greetings, and goodbyes.

She actually works at the gym on the help desk. One evening, I met her when she just finished work and went home. So, for no reason at all, I asked her, “How about a chat?”

She said, “Of course! Where?”

Then I thought of my hangout place and said, “Starbucks, if you don’t mind.”

“Okay, let’s go then!”

Then we went to Starbucks. I ordered a simple, hot espresso for me and a rejuvenating green tea for her. I broke the ice by talking about the coffee, and how inspiriting it is in Starbucks, which she agreed. I talked about the book I was working on, her work and my works. So far it’s fivefold of what we actually talked during our previous encounters.

Usually, iced cappuccino is my favorite coffee. But that time I said I just wanted a nice, simple espresso. She said espresso has stronger taste and keeps us awake better than cappuccino, and our talks about coffee went on. She likes coffee, but she tends to drink it not too frequently and she preferred teas which are also excellently provided in Starbucks.

Our conversation went on to friendly talks, mostly about our student days. Then suddenly I wanted to know more about her, but my negative thoughts came over me again. I lost my confidence again and I wanted to end our talks right away and went back to our own businesses, but as I took a sip from my espresso I felt a new strength and courage awakened in me. And then I told her about how lucky she was to have a definite job, steady income and an inclining career, while I must strive in unsteady income from my small business and self-employed, freelance status.

But she said, on the contrary, she appreciated my being independent and she said, “Actually, you’re an interesting man. I want to know more about you. You like Starbucks cappuccino and espresso, right? Then what more do you like?”

I was zapped. “She… she wants to know me!” I think.

And all of a sudden, my way of thinking changed drastically. At last, I found a beautiful girl who looks at me in a different way! She’s truly one in a million, I thought, and I wouldn’t miss this for a year of free espresso! And I determined not to end our talk before my espresso ran out – at least.

Our talks went on, this time it’s a rather more private and I can’t help looking in her beautiful eyes all the time. And then with the last sip from my hot espresso, we made plans to meet again next time for a date to the movies, and I never felt more refreshed and enlightened in Starbucks like that day.

After that evening in Starbucks, I met her and go with her more frequently, getting to know her family and getting along with them as she with mine, and found more and more things about her that got us closer and closer. And finally, on Valentine’s Day, we declared our love to each other and officially became lovers, and we are still in relationship now.

When she said, “Yes, I love you,” I thanked God.

Thank God for bringing us this far in our relationship. Thank God we’ve made that conversation in Starbucks. And thank Starbucks for being a more memorable place for me now.

Until now I’ve finished several short comics for competition, and a story book with a little help, a little inspiration from Starbucks. And I’ve made some friends thanks to my habit of hanging out in Starbucks. And about me and my girlfriend, I’m thinking if we are to be married one day, I’ll say in our marriage speech that…

It all began with a cup of Starbucks espresso.


Made and sent to :
Starbucks Summerfest Indonesia 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts