Monday, November 26, 2012

[GetAmped Fansite - KICK ASS Inc.] Don Quixote (344 of 448)

---------------

SHARING

We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!

---------------



CHAPTER XLI. (CONT'D)



"That is true," said Sancho, "but for all that I got a glimpse of a bit of one side of it, and saw it all."



"Take care, Sancho," said the duchess, "with a bit of one side one does not see the whole of what one looks at."



"I don't understand that way of looking at things," said Sancho; "I only know that your ladyship will do well to bear in mind that as we were flying by enchantment so I might have seen the whole earth and all the men by enchantment whatever way I looked; and if you won't believe this, no more will you believe that, uncovering myself nearly to the eyebrows, I saw myself so close to the sky that there was not a palm and a half between me and it; and by everything that I can swear by, senora, it is mighty great! And it so happened we came by where the seven goats are, and by God and upon my soul, as in my youth I was a goatherd in my own country, as soon as I saw them I felt a longing to be among them for a little, and if I had not given way to it I think I'd have burst.

So I come and take, and what do I do? without saying anything to anybody, not even to my master, softly and quietly I got down from Clavileno and amused myself with the goats--which are like violets, like flowers--for nigh three-quarters of an hour; and Clavileno never stirred or moved from one spot."



"And while the good Sancho was amusing himself with the goats," said the duke, "how did Senor Don Quixote amuse himself?"



To which Don Quixote replied, "As all these things and such like occurrences are out of the ordinary course of nature, it is no wonder that Sancho says what he does; for my own part I can only say that I did not uncover my eyes either above or below, nor did I see sky or earth or sea or shore. It is true I felt that I was passing through the region of the air, and even that I touched that of fire; but that we passed farther I cannot believe; for the region of fire being between the heaven of the moon and the last region of the air, we could not have reached that heaven where the seven goats Sancho speaks of are without being burned; and as we were not burned, either Sancho is lying or Sancho is dreaming."



"I am neither lying nor dreaming," said Sancho; "only ask me the tokens of those same goats, and you'll see by that whether I'm telling the truth or not."



"Tell us them then, Sancho," said the duchess.



"Two of them," said Sancho, "are green, two blood-red, two blue, and one a mixture of all colours."



"An odd sort of goat, that," said the duke; "in this earthly region of ours we have no such colours; I mean goats of such colours."



"That's very plain," said Sancho; "of course there must be a difference between the goats of heaven and the goats of the earth."



"Tell me, Sancho," said the duke, "did you see any he-goat among those goats?"



"No, senor," said Sancho; "but I have heard say that none ever passed the horns of the moon."



They did not care to ask him anything more about his journey, for they saw he was in the vein to go rambling all over the heavens giving an account of everything that went on there, without having ever stirred from the garden. Such, in short, was the end of the adventure of the Distressed Duenna, which gave the duke and duchess laughing matter not only for the time being, but for all their lives, and Sancho something to talk about for ages, if he lived so long; but Don Quixote, coming close to his ear, said to him, "Sancho, as you would have us believe what you saw in heaven, I require you to believe me as to what I saw in the cave of Montesinos; I say no more."







---------------

DAILYLIT LINKS

Click here to receive the next installment immediately

http://www.dailylit.com/subs/next/7299f7e2a8cb4c4476599036f7c68b3d



Ideas or questions? Click here to discuss this book in the forums

http://www.dailylit.com/forums/book/don-quixote



Need a break? Click here to suspend delivery of this book.

http://www.dailylit.com/subs/suspend/7299f7e2a8cb4c4476599036f7c68b3d



Click here to manage all your book settings

http://www.dailylit.com/subs/manage/7299f7e2a8cb4c4476599036f7c68b3d


--

Posted By Blogger to GetAmped Fansite - KICK ASS Inc. at 11/27/2012 11:17:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts